Friday, March 26, 2010

This One's For You, Leserlee

For those that find the title a little cryptic, I'll fill you in. Last fall, I mentioned on my facebook status that I had planted over 100 bulbs around our house. When questioned, I said most were daffodils and I couldn't remember the name of the others (they came in a box together). Les, who knows WAY more about plants than I ever even aspire to, really wanted to help me figure it out. Or maybe she's a little OCD like the rest of us, and it bothered her, too. I don't know. Either way, HERE is the plant, Les!


What IS it? And PLEASE tell me it gets bigger? Cause our house is small, but not small enough that all these tiny little dwarf flowers don't look ridiculous. (For those that have trouble following a double negative - the house looks ridiculous with all these dwarf flowers!) Maybe the hostas will save us. If I planted them correctly...

11 comments:

Emily said...

It is a grape hyacinth. and they don't get much bigger than that.

Kelli @ WhimsiKel said...

Dang it. I was sure the name started with an M. Live and learn. Next time I'll pay more attention to the size listed on the box. Sheesh.

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

As soon as I saw it I was going to say grape hyacinth, but I guess Emily knew too. Darn it!

Kelli @ WhimsiKel said...

I swear that's not what the box said. I've been duped.

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

P.S. Now that I've finished reading the post...this year buy some tulips. If you like red and yellow, I reccommend the Apeldorn Elite tulips from Michigan Bulb mibulb.com I love them! And the petals open up so big that they are almost parallel to the ground and have black in the center on the inside. They are so cool. I'm sure I have some in a Facebook album or on blogger. I'll comment again when I find out where I put them. And they get tall enough that they are at the back of my flower beds.

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

Here's a link to someone's photo on flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/angelskiss31/3564915602/ I couldn't find any pictures of my own.

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

P.S. Another name for Grape hyacinth is Muscari.

Kelli @ WhimsiKel said...

Les, it's all becoming clear now. I WAS duped. At least you were able to tell me why I could swear it was an "m" name. I'll add tulips to the list for this year. Cause you're right - they're great. And cross my fingers for the hostas in the meantime.

Emily said...

My mom has a garden of spring flowers in front of our house. When they really start blooming I'll send you some pictures.

It's really quite beautiful.

Unknown said...

I love these little tiny flowers! They are the first signs of spring. You shouldn't feel duped or sad at all. They will be gone soon enough. Do you remember the Crocus bulbs we had in our yard in O'Fallon? I have them in my yard here. It's the best sign of Spring!!!

♥FreakyehS♥ said...

Beautiful! stopping by from follow friday