Saturday, April 9, 2011

News!!! And the Hospital

It seems like we update this blog more when it involves babies and hospitals.  I think that's probably because that's when people most want to know how things are going.  So speaking of babies and news, we announced it on facebook (on April Fool's Day, cause that seemed fun), but for those who missed it, the Williams baby bump watch is confirmed.  I'm due October 6. 

And that's the news.  Now, the hospital.  I was in the hospital on Thursday.  For anyone that doesn't know, I have chronic daily headache and migraine.  When I'm not pregnant, I've found preventative medication that I can take that helps me manage them.  But when I'm pregnant, I just take what I can and take it one day at a time, and some are better than others.  I had a really bad migraine wake me up Thursday morning, and I couldn't even lay down because it hurt so much.  So I was sitting up between 3:30 and 7:30 or so when I decided the medication I had wasn't cutting it, and I needed more help.  My OB had said I could go in to the hospital for a shot of demerol when it got too bad, and I've never had to before (even with Lincoln), but I needed it Thursday.

I had Tyler take me in because I was hoping they could just give me the shot, it would start working, I'd be all loopy, and Tyler could take me home and then get to work about an hour or 2 late.  Oh, I'm such an optimist.  First, Dr. Petersen wanted me to stay for at least an hour so they could see how I responded.  Which, of course, makes tons of sense.  But an hour after the shot (which wasn't until we'd been there about 30 minutes), I had to conclude that the demerol did not even touch it.  I couldn't believe it.  Luckily Dr. Petersen figured out I was probably dehydrated, so they had to place an IV to give me some fluids.  I sent Tyler to work then; I knew it would be a while before I left. 

I was so dehydrated that it took them 4 tries before they could finally get the IV in, and they had to use the smallest needle they have, the ones they use on infants.  I have no idea how it got that bad since I drink water like it's going out of style, but it obviously happened, so there you go.  After we got the medication right and some fluids in me, I felt MUCH better.  They finally let me go about 6 hours after I showed up.  But it was worth it.

Then I had a migraine again yesterday morning, so I medicated with the new meds my OB had ok'd and stayed home and drank water until my stomach hurt to try to hydrate and avoid going back to the hospital.  I feel much better today. 


Dawn, said...

Yay, yay, yay, on the new babe. I can't imagine having migraines like you have to deal with. I have the most minor of headaches and can't function.

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

Congratulations on the baby! That's pretty exciting! And the migraines, that just sucks. It's really weird that you got so dehydrated. I have several friends that used to get really bad migraines. One manages them pretty well by seeing a chiropractor, and the other one had a small hole in her heart that was causing them. A quick surgery fixed that. Anyway, I hope things get better for you.

Mr and Mrs Smith and Co said...

Congrats congrats congrats!!! Very excited for you. And, sorry that you have migraines/headaches. Hubby has them, and he hasn't been a preventative or an after the fact med that helps. Most of the time, he just has to take a benedryl and go to bed... But, glad you have found something that helps most of the time :)

MISTY said...

you poor thing. If you need anything email me please!

Emily said...

Congratulations! but so sorry you don't feel well. Hopefully these next few months will fly by for you.

Cort said...

Congrats on the baby news:) Let me know if you need a day of rest or just a night out with your hubby. I will totally watch Lincoln (Wyatt would love a playmate).